10.04.2008

trees

recently, perhaps the past year or so trees have had strong symbolic significance for me. one of my favorite places has been underneath a beautiful soft pine. there have been some paintings and pictures of trees that have meant a lot. maybe it's the growing thing that i'm relating to right now.

i think the most significant thing has been the understanding that there are times of bearing fruit, and there are times of pruning. lately i've felt that the pruning has been cutting a little deep, a little too far up the tree. it never feels pleasant at the time i know, but the words keep ringing "sorrow is constant and the joys are brief." i'm still waiting for the pearl, for the fruit. i'm no pine tree. the leaves have fallen. but then, do pine trees bear fruit?

so when this word was given to me in a prayer by someone down in oklahoma this past week, it was the peace of a vision that i hope for--and not only for me. and i thank God for it.

They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.
They will rebuild the ancient ruins

and restore the places long devastated;
they will renew the ruined cities
that have been devastated for generations.
Isaiah 61:3-4

or as another version says it:
For the Lord has planted them like strong and graceful oaks for his own glory.

this song is speaking to me now.

and i'm reminded of the words of don chaffer song that touched me once--i say once because it hasn't been released but in concert i managed to jot down these words (hope this isn't illegal!):
Beauty will break my heart
I will finally fall apart
After all the leaves have fallen
Down on the ground and I'm done callin'
I will lean against a dying tree
and let the beauty come break me.

1 comment:

  1. !!
    i love trees...i've always loved that verse...and that is my favorite nickel creek song.
    and you managed to compile them all into a single post...amazing!

    ReplyDelete